Thursday, October 30, 2008

Projects

We carved our pumpkins last night, "We" usually means Mark, because I hate to clean out the pumpkin, it's mostly the smell, but also I'm not a fan of the goo! But, I sucked it up and cleaned and carved one this year, hoping it would help Jakob get over his goo issue also. As you may know, Jakob is very sensitive with things on his hands, doesn't like them to be dirty AT ALL. So, pumpkin carving is not really up his ally, but after we told him that if he touched a little bit of the pumpkin guts, he could help carve with the knife, he opened up a bit to it. He actually picked up a few pieces of the goo and then said "Oh, I didn't know the goo wouldn't hurt me," (Then he quickly wiped his fingers on his papertowel). I wonder if he just thought that it would hurt him or if that was an excuse for not doing it? Jakob helped Daddy carve an aiien (Jakob is totally into anything with space right now). I carved a regular Jack-o-lantern looking face - of course I didn't take pics of them!

Oh and Jakob is also into not wearing a shirt - apparently he likes to show off his guns? Really he just gets hot and takes it off.


We've been collecting leaves as they turn, and this is what we decided to make with them, a leaf curtain! We pressed the leaves in books for 2 weeks, then I ironed them between 2 pieces of wax paper, hoping this will make them last a bit longer. Now we can enjoy the fall color inside. The heating vent is right below them, so they constantly are turning around, and will dry out quicker I think - but Jakob said "It's like they are blowing in the wind."

4 comments:

Bexy said...

Let's hope you don't have a "Ted" on your hands that will escalate the taking off of clothes to more than just a shirt! ha ha, j/k.

I love the leaf curtain! That is so cute!!

-a said...

Looks like fun. And where the heck did you come up with the leaf idea. I guess because you don't get to sleep much.

Carla said...

Ditto on the curtain, love it!

Mark, Jessica, Jakob, Sarah, Lily and Kona said...

Yes, Rebecca, let's pray we don't have a Ted on our hands! That's all we need - you know Jakob does love his Uncle Ted!
Thanks for the compliments on the curtain, don't know how I thought of coming up with it, just knew I wanted to hang the leaves up somehow, and we don't have a curtain there right now (it's a funky sized window and I like the sunlight in that room), and I don't get a lot of sleep and think about lots of random things!