Saturday, September 13, 2008

Helping Others

So, we have "The Peace Book" by Todd Parr, checked out from the library. It's really a cute book. I read it to Jakob tonight and we talked about what we can do to be peaceful or help others.
Here are some of Jakob's ideas:
His first response was, "We can pick up someone else's dog poop" (Because some else's dog pooped in our yard)
"We can pick up trash that people forgot."
"We can be someones friend...like if someone doesn't have a friend, I could be there friend...I would just ask them what their name is."
"I can teach someone how to read if they don't know how" (Jakob doesn't know how either, but apparently thinks he does!)
About helping homeless people..
"We can let them sleep in our house"
"We can give them a couch if they don't have one."
"We can give them some clothes or books if they don't have any"
"We could give them some food or some seeds so they could plant some food...or pretty flowers!"
"We can give them money if they don't have any...then they could buy a house" (seems so easy doesn't it!)

2 comments:

Bexy said...

What a sweetie pie! I love his idea to let homeless people sleep in your house - seems legit; why not?

But seriously, my heart melts that he wants to give them seeds to plant pretty flowers. Everyone needs beauty in their lives! He's so adorable.

Mark, Jessica, Jakob, Sarah, Lily and Kona said...

Yeah, I totally started laughing - well a little on the outside, mostly laughing on the inside, when he said that they could sleep in our house. But, it was a very concrete solution!
I can only imagine Mark's response to having "Hobos" in our house!! I'm sure they would turn into day laborers of somesort! HA! That's terrible, but I know that's what he is thinking.