Saturday, September 29, 2007

School Nurse to the Rescue!

So, on Friday I was at one of the 8 schools I oversee and it just so happened to be my favorite little country school with only 208 students (it really is in the country). I love this school because they announce to teachers when the nurse is coming (every other Friday) and they have them send kids into the office to have me check on things - nothing ever really big - although last year I found a kid with severe hearing loss - which turned out to be a tumor - he's better now - mostly it's "Can you talk to this kid about their hygiene..." or "Can you look at his eye/ear/throat" etc. I love it because I actually feel useful and I'm not just sitting at my desk manning the phone. Anyhow, I was going to leave and a 5th grade girl came in with a bee sting and apparently she is highly allergic - well long story short - I tried to calm her down (as she was quite dramatic as many 5th grade girls are and I didn't have any histroy of her having had an allergy to bee stings from the parent) but she started to show signs of anaphylaxis and I ended up giving her the epipen injection - scared the crap out of me to have to actually give it, (for those who may not know what an epipen is, it's a shot of epinephrine that looks like a big pen, that has a long needle in it and you have to basically punch it into your leg - thru pants even). Part of my job is to teach my staff how to give the injection, but it's pretty rare to actually give it! The paramedics came + about 6 super hot firemen -this was the best part of the whole thing! Of course they didn't pay much attention to the 6 month pregnant School Nurse, even though I tried to get some attention!!
The paramedics commended me on my actions and told me "You saved her life", they transported her to a local hospital for further treatment.
Hurray for School Nurses, hopefully one day we'll have them in every school!!!

1 comment:

Bexy said...

Yay Jess! That's so awesome. When you describe the needle I couldn't help but be reminded of that scene in Pulp Fiction when Eric Stoltz gives Uma Thurman a similar shot.

I love that you got to see 6 hot firefighters too! Yay!