Monday, November 23, 2009

Sad

One of my students has Neuroblastoma, a type of cancer, she is in her 4th relapse with it (she's in 3rd grade, was adopted by a great family at age 3 from Guatamala and is a fighter) anyhow, on her Caring Bridge page, her Mom had shared the story of Noah, who was also dying of Neuroblastoma and his family was giving him Christmas early (basically b/c he wanted to "hang on" until Christmas but the family knew he wouldn't). So, Noah's Mom had asked for Christmas cards to be sent to him, well the news got out and he ended up receiving truck loads of cards. A few weeks ago, Jakob made him a card, drew what he thought Noah would like - Noah is also 5 years old - so Jakob drew Santa, presents, reindeer, stars and Noah's name. Jakob told me what he wanted to write in the card, I wrote it on another piece of paper and he wrote it inside the card "I'm sorry you are sick, I hope you get better, Love Jakob". I told Jakob that Noah probably wouldn't get better and would go to heaven, Jakob started to get teary eyed, and asked why he wouldn't get better, I explained not everything can be fixed by doctors, and sometimes God wants you in heaven sooner than later. We talked a lot about why kids might go to heaven (because Jakob thinks only old people go there), I told him I think it's because God needs more angels to look out for us, he thought that was pretty cool. He liked the idea that kids could grow wings and fly and take care of people. He was concerned about taking toys to heaven, because he knows that the body stays in the "ground" but didn't know how the toys would get there. Of course, I told him that there would be toys waiting for him in heaven, he was pleased with that. We said a little prayer for Noah and Roxy and GG Dode, all the people/dogs that we knew were in heaven, and then he realized that Roxy could play with Noah and liked that too! We sent the card off the next morning.

Today Noah passed away at 8 am, at home with his family. I didn't have the heart to tell Jakob, instead I told him what his parents said, they received over 1 million cards! Jakob's reaction - huge smile - "Wow, he must have been so happy." I hope so!
I had some nice snuggle time with my little angel tonight. He is the best, he even rubbed my back and my head, and made sure I felt good too! I'm not sure what I would do without my best boy.
My heart goes out to all the families battling illness in their children.
You can read more about Noah here:
www.carepages.com/carepages/NoahScottBiorkman

You can read more about my student here:
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/leslyfoster

No comments: