Tuesday, November 4, 2008

This Day

Today started out as a normal day, actually pretty ok, because Sarah slept in until almost 7 am. That was the end of it starting out ok! Today was Sarah's first day of daycare at Jakob's preschool, so it was an exciting and stressful day from the get go. I was running late, as Mark and I are trying to figure out our roles in the morning as he will be taking both kids to daycare, anyhow I am running around the house, trying to get dressed without getting snot, food or breastmilk on my shirt, as I go to put my coat on I realize that Sarah has grabbed my coffee mug and managed to open the lid and is shaking and pouring the coffee onto the carpet (Huge Smile on her face - one of the women at work told me later that I should be proud of her fine motor skills)!!! Meanwhile, Mark is outside trying to install her new carseat (she has outgrown the infant seat and Mark decided to do it this a.m. as it wasn't raining), so he can't grab her. The coffee didn't burn her, but it was all over her, so I picked her up, sat her in the kitchen, grabbed some papertowels - which of course ran out - grabbed more from under the sink - grabbed Sarah again as she is crawling onto the carpe, swung her back into the kitchen - decided to undress her in the kitchen - then ran to the puddle of coffee in the carpet - soaked it up - yelled to Jakob to get more papertowels - he is whining b/c he stepped in it and his socks are wet!! OH MY GOD!! Anyhow, I soaked the coffee up as best as I could, left super late, got stuck in serious traffic on the way to work. I arrived a 1/2 hour late, missed a meeting and had a ton of work to do!
Then, when I get to work I realize that I enrolled my family in the wrong dental plan - that doesn't cover our regular dentist - and Jakob just happened to see her last week - so we will have to pay for that!! Awesome!
I made it thru the rest of the day with a lot of chocolate, caffeine and venting. 
Then finally, the end of the day comes, I get in my car, and it won't start! Yep, it's out of gas, the empty light didn't come on, we just put in a few gallons on Sunday, so that I could drive it to Costco (by my work - planned to do that today) where the gas is 20 cents cheaper - didn't make it there today! I had to call Mark to come get me, he had to pick the kids up first, when they arrive it's dark and raining outside, Sarah is crying and over tired, and ready to nurse, Jakob is whining that he is hungry!
Thank God for our friends the Brink's! They had a gas can full that Mark was able to pick up and they had us over for dinner and much needed playtime for the kids - as we sat in 30 minutes of traffic trying to get home! 
But, after all the horror that went on today - it was all erased at about 8:15pm! I got on the computer, checked Carla's (The Prock Life) blog and what do you know, it says that Obama won - I couldn't believe it, we were just at the Brink's and there were still so many states that weren't counted an hour before! I should have put this together, but as I was turning on the computer I heard some loud blasts, I looked out the window, thinking there was a car wreck - then I realized it was fireworks!  So, I turn on the TV and there is McCain giving his concession speech!! Holy Crap! More loud fireworks! I did a little dance, Jakob yelled "What, Obama won, are you dancing, why...but Jake voted for Charlie Brown!" The teachers at Jakob's preschool asked the kids who they would vote for and some of the answers were: Charlie Brown, My Mommy and Daddy, The Oregon Ducks (Ian) and the rest answered Barack Obama (including Jakob). Jakob knows both McCain and Obama, in fact when we watched the debates he said that McCain looked "nicer because he smiles more(when McCain would kind of smile/grimace in response to Obama's answers)" - but he knows more about Obama from us and from walking in our neighborhood - the Obama signs are everywhere, in fact he can spell Obama.
Anyhow, after watching McCain's speech, we waited patiently to see Barack Obama give the most amazing speech! I teared up and got butterflies in my stomach - for the first time in my life around anything political!  So unbelievable that we have an African American President, I hope that our kids understand what an amazing and historical day we just took part in!
This day started out as one that I wished I'd stayed in bed, but ended as one where I can't even think about going to bed - I'm so excited!

(I know this post has many run on sentences and mispellings, I'm sure, but I'm too lazy to re-read it now - must catch up on the rest of politics - like who will be the Senator for Oregon!)

1 comment:

dakotasmommy said...

it really was a great day, I have so much more hope for the future and for dakota then I did on monday!!!!